HeatBreeze.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program.
Heatbreeze.com is a participant in the eBay Partner Network program and may earn a commission when links are clicked.
Mr. Heater Buddy Flex Heater & Flex Cooker Review
During our comparison review of the Portable Buddy and Big Buddy heaters, we noticed that a lot of people were modifying their heaters with a cooking grate so that they could cook food while they were outdoors.
Apparently, Mr. Heater noticed too, because the creation of the Buddy Flex Heater and the Buddy Flex Cooker appears to be in direct response to this.
They created a whole new heating and cooking system, while also fixing some minor inconveniences from their previous heaters, like an exposed pilot flame and frontal heating.
We reviewed both the Buddy Flex Heater and the Buddy Flex Cooker in order to give you as much information as possible to help with your buying decision.
The Mr. Heater Buddy Flex is the newest heater in the Buddy series. Despite being apart of the Buddy line, the Flex heater is completely different from the Big Buddy or the Portable Buddy, both in its design and its features.
Built for durability and ruggedness, the Mr. Heater Buddy Flex is made with a combination of metal and hard plastic. The top and bottom of the shell are constructed with black plastic to prevent denting, while the rest of the shell is made with red and black perforated metal.
On the front of the heater is a metal cage that prevents fingers or combustible materials from making contact with the open flame. Right below the cage is a vented metal strip that protects the pilot flame from the elements while still allowing oxygen to keep it lit.
On the sides of the heater, near the very bottom, are horizontal metal posts that are used to connect to the Buddy Flex Cooker via latches. The right side of the heater also has a door with a quick-connect outlet to power the Buddy Flex Cooker.
The rear of the heater is where the operation takes place. It has a swivel regulator to connect a 1 lb propane cylinder, a control knob for controlling both the heater and the cooker, and an ignition switch to light the pilot.
Finally, on the very top of the Buddy Flex is a solid plastic foldable handle for portability.
Unlike the Big Buddy or Portable Buddy that produces frontal heat only, the Buddy Flex has 180º omni-directional heating that releases heat from both sides of the heater, as well as the front. With this wider heating area, you’re able to sit virtually anywhere in relevance to the heater and still feel its radiant heat.
Another unique feature of the Buddy Flex is the wind-resistant flame screen. By shielding the heater’s flame, you’ll never have to worry about the wind extinguishing the heater. This makes it the go-to heater if you want to keep warm while being exposed to the elements.
As for heat output, it can produce between 8,000 – 11,000 BTU/hr, which heats approximately 275 sq. ft. of space. The control knob on the back of the unit features stepless heating, allowing you to dial in the perfect temperature for your needs without being constrained by pre-programmed settings.
- With heater in the OFF position, swivel the rear regulator outward and screw in the 1 lb propane cylinder
- Test for a propane leak by spraying soapy water at the connection point and watching for bubbles
- Push down the control knob slightly and rotate counterclockwise to “Heater Ignition/Pilot”
- Keep holding the control knob down and push the ignition button located next to the control knob until the pilot is lit
- Release the ignition button and keep the control knob held down for 30-60 seconds and release
- With the pilot lit, turn the control knob to Low or High heat
- To shut down the heater, turn the control knob to the OFF position
- Let the heater cool before removing the propane cylinder
|✅ 180º omni-directional heating|
|✅ Wind-resistant mesh burner|
|✅ Compatible with Flex Cooker|
|✅ Quick-connect outlet for Flex Cooker hose|
|✅ Electric ignition|
|✅ High intensity radiant heat|
|✅ Stepless heating|
BTU/hr: 8,000 – 11,000
Dimensions: 10.95” x 15.35” x 16.54”
Weight: 11.02 lbs
Fuel Source: 1 lb Propane Cylinder
The Mr. Heater Buddy Flex Cooker is the cooking attachment that pairs with the Buddy Flex Heater and is sold separately.
The Buddy Flex Cooker is constructed with the same durable plastic and slotted metal as the Buddy Flex Heater.
The sides of the cooker have very strong, large plastic latches that attach to the bottom sides of the heater.
The front of the cooker is where the control knob and ignition switch are located. The electronic ignition switch allows for easy lighting of the pilot flame and the red plastic control knob controls the intensity of the burner.
The top of the cooker houses the recessed burner flame, while an elevated stainless steel grate easily holds a medium size pot or pan. Elevating the cookware away from the burner allows for enough oxygen to feed the fire.
The bottom of the cooker houses a 28” quick-connect hose that connects directly to the side of the heater. The hose wraps around a recessed section and snaps into place, ensuring that the cooker will sit evenly on a flat surface.
Similar to the Buddy Flex Heater, the Buddy Flex Cooker features a unique wind-resistant flame screen to prevent the wind from blowing out the flame on a windy day.
It also has stepless heating, which is controlled by the control knob on the front of the unit and has a range of 5,000 – 8,000 BTU/hr. Depending on what you’re cooking, being able to find the right temperature can make or break or your meal.
- On the Buddy Flex Heater, turn the knob to the ‘Accessory’ side and follow the ignition instructions from earlier
- Connect the hose from the cooker to the heater
- Test for a propane leak by spraying soapy water on the connection point and watching for bubbles
- On the Buddy Flex Cooker, push down the control knob slightly and rotate to the “Low/Start” position
- Hold down the control knob while pressing the ignition button
- Hold the control knob down for 5-30 seconds to sustain the flame
- Rotate the control knob to your desired heat settings
- To shut off the cooker, shut off the Heater’s gas supply first, then turn the Cooker’s control knob to the OFF position
|✅ Attaches to Flex Heater for easy transportation|
|✅ Powered by Flex Heater|
|✅ Integrated 28″ hose|
|✅ Cook on the go|
|✅ Stepless heating|
|✅ Wind-resistant burner|
BTU/hr: 5,000 – 8,000
Dimensions: 16.38” x 10.87” x 7.48”
Weight: 6.17 lbs
Fuel Source: Flex Heater
It’s a unique heating system that allows you to stay warm and cook food on the fly. The latching design easily connects both units together and allows for maximum portability.
Thanks for reading and stay warm out there!